Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: DVD to 16mm

  1. #1
    Inactive Member dharmabum1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd like a 16mm print of some DV footage, does anyone have a suggestion as to where I should have this done? What would be a reasonable price to pay per foot of color 16mm film?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are a lot of places that will go DV to film for you but you will need to call them for prices. In NYC try Technicolor. Beware--You don't pay by the foot. You pay by the minute and it will cost around $500USD per minute for a good Tape to Film print.

    Good Luck

  3. #3
    Inactive Member dharmabum1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ouch!

    I had heard that its expensive to have 16mm prints made, I didnt realize it was quite that bad. I'm working on a project that involves double projection. I was thinkin it might be best to digitally superimpose the one reel ontop of the other and then have a 16mm print made of that file. I suppose I will have to find another way to do this. I can access an optical printer if i get a lab membership at Millenium, i suppose i will edit on film and then make my own superimposed 16mm print, I imagine that would save me a great deal of money. Thanks Nigel

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No problem....It is really spendy--Which is why I have been able to get a lot of gigs that want to go HD to go S16--Because either way they will pay the same price for the print.

    You could also try Alpha Cine and Film Craft Labs

    Good Luck

  5. #5
    Inactive Member King Ghidorah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2003
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    are you saying Mr. Nigel that it costs the same to rent super 16 camera and buy film stock and get it developed as it does to rent an hd camera and tape???

  6. #6
    Inactive Member dharmabum1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No, If I understood him correctly he meant that if you wish to have a 16mm print as your final product that you end up paying just as much for the tape-16mm transfer as you would have payed for the 16mm stock and extra print. Obviously It would be cheaper to shoot DV if you werent then transfering it to 16mm.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member King Ghidorah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2003
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ok you must be right.

    i hope this big heavy overprice differnce continues because it will mean more film is used instead of hd if procuders are smart. even super 16 is lots lots lots better than hd in color and detail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •